Ruhl's E.U.B. Church began as a House Church about 1839. The house is on the Kline farm and to the right after you cross the Big Chickies Creek going north. The early founders of the church were John and Philip Ruhl. In this house, services were conducted by appointed preachers traveling the Lancaster Circuit.
Both Philip and John Ruhl were strong Gospel preachers. Services were conducted every six weeks at first and later monthly. By the time the first church was erected, services were held on alternate weeks. During the summer, services were often conducted in the barn. Harvest meetings drew large congregations from the community. By the year 1867 the class member had grown to 45 and since preparing the house for worship entailed much extra work, and other churches in the community had places used for worship only, the Ruhl class gave serious thought to the erection of a special place of worship and a cemetery adjoining the burial of the dead.
The church was named after the Ruhl family whose members are numerous on its church roll. John Ruhl and his elder brother, Philip Ruhl, Michael Sharp and David Stoner, with their families, were among the earliest members of a class which grew to 45 members. Philip Ruhl was a very zealous local preacher. Rev. John Ruhl received quarterly license in 1851. He was never appointed a charge. A matter of his own choice. He was, however, of great usefulness to the itinerant preachers of the local charges.
Excerpts taken from “Our Heritage – The Ruhl Family”